Sunday, April 13, 2008

You gotta Rick-roll with it

Iain Dale has just reminded me...
I wondered what the flip was going on when I kept getting Rick rolled - now the internet phenomenon has PWNED the zeitgeist.

Channel 4 explains

Rickrolling involves creating an internet link that purports to be on one topic but in fact takes browsers through to another altogether - a YouTube video of Astley in full flow.

Victims of the jape so far mainly include other music videos, but its most famous uses were in sending up the Church of Scientology and the New York Mets baseball team.

It is claimed that over 13 million people have seen the video for Never Gonna Give You Up thanks to the Rickrolling phenomenon.

BBC on the Astley tribute flash mob
Sunday Times on the whole silly saga.
More here

And now this...Lord, help us.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The church of Scientology (yeah... we all believe it's a *church*) got rick rolled in style yesterday. I wasn't there but I know someone who was. It was rather amusing, lots of people wearing V for Vendetta face masks, offering people cake and hugs. There was a news item in Today's Observer about it, think it was page 5.

The irony of all of this, now the mainstream media has picked it up, it'll no longer be funny. Although that graph did make me laugh when it was shown to me earlier this week.

April 13, 2008 8:14 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

I am sadly behind the zeitgeist I fear. If this was a wave I was surfing I would be wiped out and eating sand on my boogie board

:-(

April 13, 2008 8:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry... I was as well, I was told that it was not funny now it's popular, but it does seem to be the case when someone gets their hands on it, it looses all hilarity. LOLCat speak is, apparently, now also "so five minutes ago"... I still find it hilarious.

I have to also say your interview (although I read it on here and not in the Times) was really insightful, I always wondered what happened when these so called extremists get locked up in prison, does it become a breeding ground as the media would so have us believe or does something else happen. It's nice to hear another part of the story instead of the one sided propaganda that everyone forces onto us. I really enjoyed reading it.

April 13, 2008 9:01 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

That graph is highly amusing :). Thanks for that.

April 13, 2008 10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta be loving Monsieur Snow :-) He is such a national institution.

April 14, 2008 1:02 am  
Blogger Calamity Jane said...

Ahhh, it takes me back, crusing in my first car with the stereo blasting out this song. I hope Rick's getting lots of royalty money out of all this.

April 14, 2008 2:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home