Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Anti-Christmas Carols 20th December

Public Carol Service
Click here for more information.


For the last few years we have seditiously gathered in Parliament Square in a wholly illegal demonstration of Christmas cheer, festive joy and religious tolerance, at unlawful carol services organised by blogging activist Tim Ireland over at Bloggerheads. It was so much fun that I wrote about it in my book. All sorts of people from across the political spectrum gathered, stamping their feet and shivering and passing hipflasks, in defiance of the totally stupid Serious Organised Crime and Police Act ( SOCPA) laws which make it unlawful to demonstrate outside the seat of our democracy without a special permit from the police which you have to get a week in advance ( see Mark Thomas' ace Lone Mass demonstrations which saw protesters dutifully trooping down to the police station to apply to demonstrate about a wide variety of causes, from Goth Pride to Send Forth the Gunboats to Down With this Sort of Thing. Pics here)

Anyway, this year we have a twist on proceedings and Tim is hosting an Anti Christmas demonstration. Tim explains ''...this year we will NOT be demonstrating in favour of Christmas without seeking police permission. We will instead be demonstrating against Christmas with police permission... just to be difficult.''

I was a bit sad when I heard about the new plans because I am a big fan of Christmas and I wanted to sing proper carols in defiance of the silly laws without permission, instead of seditious carols with permission. However, I did have a carol singing session the other week in Trafalgar Square with Henry North London and Taking Liberties film director Chris Atkins ( if you haven't got your Taking Liberties book or DVD yet, then they make excellent stocking fillers and can be bought here ( book) and here ( film) from Amazon). I shall do my best to make it, (although it clashes with the pole dancing students Christmas knees up).

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Cheers, Rachel. I hope to see you there. If you get into the spirit of things, I may even loan you my Scrooge night-cap.

;o)

December 18, 2007 9:56 pm  
Blogger Calamity Jane said...

Oh you Londoners are sooo sophisticated - we'd just borrow a muck spreader to get our message across up here ...

December 19, 2007 8:01 am  
Blogger Tim said...

"we'd just borrow a muck spreader to get our message across up here"

Yes, but Paul Staines is refusing to take my calls.

December 19, 2007 9:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home