Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 30 Stop CyberBullying Day

Following the widely-blogged furore over a prominent US tech-blogger getting death threats, US bloggers have declared today Stop CyberBullying Day and are inviting bloggers to link and tag and write about the subject. I have already written quite a lot on the subject recently ( see here and here), so I will simply add my small voice of support, sprinkle a few useful links and say thanks to US reader Barbara for letting me know about the initiative to raise awareness.

Wikipedia
BullyOnline ( excellent site and covers a lot of the psychology of bullying, harassment and personality disorders )
Stalking Research
WiredSafety
Cyberstalking ( behaviour), more on cyberstalking

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

Nice idea.

Perhaps it can become standard practice, rather than a one day event...and people can be kind and decent to each other, period.

I know! I know!....if wishes were ponies...yadda, yadda, yadda...

Thanks for sharing the info and nice reads on your blog.

March 29, 2007 6:20 pm  
Blogger kris said...

I seen some real homophobic but mostly misogynist shite in the past few days. I've bowed out of one in particular that I had previously enjoyed this morning because of the pure hatred for "fags" expressed in recent posts and comments. I thought I'd stumbled on to pastor fred's site in topeka for fucks' sakes!

I love how the intellectually inadequate go right for the gay or "wimmen" jibes rather than argue the point.

I like the idea of the "day"- but it's preaching to the choir and a waste of virtual space. These imbecilic tosspots really could give a shit.

And as I can't change anyone else, I recall the words of the maestro, Arsene Wenger: -

"We do not worry about how others play their game. They play their game and we focus on ours'"

until, of course, they come to my blog and cross the line into harassment- whereupon I will sing like a canary to the cops.

March 29, 2007 6:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

As someone who works with a tech savvy woman in the very same industry as Kathy I am very aware of the issues involved. Nobody wants to make smug remarks about my body at work. But often I have the definite feeling that guys just want to work with us just because of the pretty model running the show. Testosterone, the male substitute for a brain.

March 30, 2007 9:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home