Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Pole position

Tonight we had pole graduation class. This means dress up and perform your routine and all your tricks for each other.

My friend Nicola and I have been teaching women to pole dance for almost 2 years: it's a fitness dance class - strictly no men allowed. You learn how to hold your bodyweight on one arm and how to twirl and kick and swing. It's very hard work. We train up for it by doing press-ups and crunches. I don't get paid, I do it instead of going to a gym and paying a gym subscription. Tonight was a bunch of women who have been dancing on and off for over a year and have not been able to stop.We just love it.

I love to see women shriek and howl and clap their approval as one of us throws herself upsidedown in a pair of 6 inch perspex shoes. Everyone dressed up: we had fans blowing our hair, the White Stripes blaring, it was wild. Wild and lovely.

This is the first time I've posted about pole dancing. I will write more on it later: writing and dancing and loving my life have been important things for me this year. I was thinking about the things I'd miss if it all stoppped; hanging upsidedown by my heels whilst a bunch of my girls shrieked approval is damn well one of them.


Yeah, pics definitely to follow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

That sounds like so much fun!!

I've thought about giving it a go, but notbeing the most graceful creature I figure I'll end up on my bum on the floor.

Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy some 6" perspex heels :o)

Its good to hear you're having some fun though...they didn't take your life from you that day on the train and they aren't going to do it moving forward!

October 05, 2005 8:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home