Thursday, July 14, 2005

So the bombers were British

WEDNESDAY 13 JULY 1755 BST
So, the bombers were young British men, and they killed themselves along with their fellow passengers. I'm sad, but not surprised.
They killed Londoners and people from all over the world, including Muslims.
It is terrible to think about why they chose to do such a thing. I cannot imagine what it must be like to hate so much that you are willing to blow yourself and other people to pieces to prove it.
I studied Theology at University, and I know that the Bible, the Torah, the Koran all contain passages that can be interpreted to back up all kinds of personal and political agendas.
But I also know that all the major world faiths teach of the sanctity and value of life, of how love is more important than hate. I have had many messages of support from friends and strangers, of all faiths and backgrounds. And everyone has said the same thing: how sad they are, what a despicable criminal act the bombers performed, and how futile it was.
Bombing, hate, murder and evil happen all over the world. Here in Britain we are not immune from it. This is unutterably sad, but like everywhere else, we will pick ourselves up and go on. I don't want to meet hate with hate.
Hate feeds hate. I've had enough of it. I'm scared, but not that scared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home